I have an issue about a pub, nightclub or other place which sells alcohol

Discrimination in relation to goods and services happens when you are treated less favourably than another person, because of who you are.  The Equal Status Acts 2000-2018 (ESA) prohibit discrimination on nine grounds.

Pubs, nightclubs and other places that sell alcohol are service providers that are covered by the ESA.

Example A pub cannot refuse to let you in because you are a member of a particular group covered by the ESA, or because you are with such a person, or because the staff think you are such a person.

Complaints about discrimination that occur “on, or at the point of entry to”, a premise that sells alcohol must be made to the District Court.

You can access the relevant court forms from the Courts Service.


If the discriminatory treatment did happened somewhere other than “on or at the point of entry to” the premises that sells alcohol, then you must make your complaint to the Workplace Relations Commission.   Click  here to find out how to make a complaint to the Workplace Relations Commission.

Example A member of the Traveller community phones a pub to reserve a table for a family celebration. The pub refuses to accept the reservation because the caller is a member of the Traveller community.  Because the refusal did not occur on or at the point of entry to the pub, but instead during a telephone conversation, then the complaint is made to the Workplace Relations Commission and not the District Court.

Do you think that you have been discriminated against?